Art Works Contemporary
As a painter of abstract art works i use watercolour as my medium in an impasto style . With the use of colour, texture and glaze i create a unique 3D effect . I describe my works are uplifting but contemplative.
I am an artist who creates mini sculpture works using made and found objects and small figurines.Transforming the collected and assembled objects using extremes of scale to tell their own intimate story and to intrigue and delight the viewer with a comic quirkiness in a slightly surreal way …
expect the unexpected .
Born in Glenelg Adelaide, South Australia David’s first contact with the art world was at a very young age through his family. His mother was a watercolourist specialising in still life and landscape
David was encouraged at high school in his art endeavours where he excelled in classes with art teacher Rhonda Thiele. After completing his H.S.C. he studied Cartography in Adelaide and then worked as a Geological Draftsman for a number of years. Studying at North Adelaide School of Arts and Adelaide Central School of Arts helped him develop artistically and in the early 1990’s David moved to Sydney where he worked in the IT industry for 13 years .
David’s initial art interest was in the traditional watercolour genre and then exploring the use of watercolour in a contemporary style which he continues to develop today. A love for sculpture in particular mini sculpture has become significant in David’s art journey and a signature style has developed. Winning 1st Prize, gaining a High Recommendation and receiving the Award of Excellence Medal for the best overall Sculpture at the 2015 Royal Sydney Show being a highlight
Inspiration has been drawn from various experiences including Gallery Exhibitions, talking and sharing ideas with other artists, The Australian Landscape, Art Stage and Art Apart Singapore, MoMA New York, Insadong Seoul, South Korea, Salvador Dali Museum Figueres Spain, The Louvre Paris.
– 1st Prize & Award of Excellence Medal: “Best Sculpture”, Royal Sydney Show
– The Trixie Pettman -South Prize Best Overall Exhibit in Art and Craft Royal Adelaide Show
Group Exhibitions & Showings
– “Eclectic”- Small Abstract Artworks - Group Exhibition Artshine Gallery Chippendale Sydney
–“The Collection” Small Artworks Group Exhibition Artshine Gallery Chippendale Sydney
– 1st Prize and The Award of Excellence Medal: “Best Sculpture”, Royal Sydney Show
– Highly Recommended Award Sculpture Royal Sydney Show
– 1st Prize: “Art Competition”, Royal Adelaide Show
– 2nd Prize: “Art Competition”, Royal Melbourne Art Craft Miniature
– Brunswick Street Gallery “Small Works Art Prize” Fitzroy Melbourne
– Urban Cow Studio Adelaide
– Gallery Eight The Rocks Sydney “Colour and Candy”
– Gallery Eight The Rocks, Sydney “Fabrication”
– Berry Art Gallery, Berry, NSW
– Libby Edwards Galleries Woollahra Sydney – Norton Gallery McMahons Point Sydney
– Norton Gallery McMahons Point Sydney – Aptoz Cruz Gallery Stirling Adelaide
– Contemporary Art Society of Victoria National Touring Exhibition – Unley About Art Unley Adelaide
– Bethany Art Gallery Barossa Valley South Australia – Urban Cow Studio Adelaide
– Barossa Art Show Barossa Valley South Australia – Greenhill Galleries North Adelaide
– Private Residences Sydney CBD, Avalon NSW
– Private Residence Mosman Sydney, NSW – BBR Design Sydney, NSW
– Inter-action Sydney, James Irivine Barossa Valley, South Australia
Showing 1–10 of 14 artworks